Sunday, February 6, 2022

Why Journalism?

What are you good at and what do you like to do? This was a question my dad had asked me over and over again growing up. He followed with, once you answer, find a path that incorporates both and it will grant you both internal and external success. 

I am good at communicating and I love current events. Once I recognized these two, my dream of becoming a journalist grew and made choosing a major that much easier.

In high school I waited for history teachers to announce a new current event was due. The class would always whine and try to get out of it but I always had this problem of narrowing down my options to one event I wanted to work on.

I have done theatre for the majority of my life. I participated in over three dozen productions and have shared messages through the art of performing. While performing you are required to convey a certain message to a group of people and leave the audience feeling something. To me, journalism has the same effect. You are to tell a story and have your audience resinate with what you are trying to say. 

News is happening all around us and the more aware we are, the easier it is to detect compelling and engaging stories. Journalism will provide me with an outlet to use my voice to enlighten people of world happenings on a daily basis. Having the potential to alter the routine of a stranger through a news article I have written has inspired me to fulfill my dream of being a journalist. 

I want to communicate with the world in an effective manner and share truths to wider audiences and in a more direct way. Everyday, journalists change lives in big and small ways. I want those life changing articles to be my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment